Do you have peace of mind with the builder working for your home? This is key because you are exposing your family to strangers who will spend 3 months to 7 months in your house, depending on the project, and it is your responsibility to protect your family.
Before you wave this off, there are two stories you want to take a good look at.
One of the worst tragedies that have hit the construction industry in London is the Grenfell Tower fire that claimed seventy-two lives. What is most tragic about the event was that it could have been avoided altogether. Three very startling decisions resulted in this tragedy.
- When bidding on the project, the contractor padded their CVs and profiles to look very impressive, saying they did jobs they had never done.
- The project manager whose CV was padded had no ounce of construction experience and didn’t have the prerequisite knowledge of his duties and responsibilities, and didn’t know jack about building standards and safety requirements.
- In the construction company’s bid to save money, they used a low quality of cladding materials which added more fuel to the fire and spread faster.
The end result – Seventy-Two Lives Lost
In January of 2019, the Manchester Evening News reported that a house builder had been jailed for 3 years for Fraud and Property damage. The dubious builder had conned a 94-year-old woman of her life savings, and interestingly (although it is very shocking to know), the builder had 11 previous conviction.
These are just a few stories as there are countless across the United Kingdom. Your home is a temple – a sacred space of sanctity, hope, and happiness and getting the hiring process right is the difference between long life and depression. A recent science report stated that your home’s quality contributes positively to your mental health and elongates your life.
Through our interaction as a brand with clients and prospects alike, three challenges homeowners face are spending more than their budget, contractors not meeting the deadlines, and finding the right house builder they can trust. So, in this post, we will walk through the simple proven steps you can take to hiring the best construction company for your home that meets your expectations, schedule and budget.
Finding a House Builder In London During the Lockdown
Even in this lockdown, you can find trusted builders for your home construction project, and you should always check the last advice given by the government. There are circumstances where contractors can enter your home if;
- They remain two meters away from members of the household
- Wear a mask when inside
- Wash their hands when entering the property
- Minimise contact with others
Few Proven Steps to find a reputable and trustworthy construction company.
Step 1 – Establish Your Expectation
The first step before looking outside for a housebuilder is to look inwards. Determine what you want before you start looking for one. There are several questions you must provide clear-cut answers for before you step out;
- What is the purpose of my project?
- Am I sticking to my budget, or am I amenable to adjusting it?
- What is my deadline?
- Quality materials VS cost
- What guarantees do I want a builder to give me?
- How much control am I willing to handover to my builder?
- How often do I want a progress report?
Step 2 – Hire Local House Builders
Using a local housebuilder has immense benefit to you in two ways. One, you will get more time on site which ultimately leads to meeting the timeline, and two, their knowledge of the local planning permission is invaluable to your new build or renovation ensuring your project meets the requisite laws and regulations.
Step 3 – Ask Building Inspectors
Local building inspectors are a useful resource that in most cases, are overlooked. Although they won’t do anything shady nor is their recommendation a stamp of authority, but their nods and winks at a builder you mentioned to them is safe for you and your money.
Step 4 – Ask The Contractor To Furnish You With A Reference List
There is the saying that in the mouth of two or three, safety is guaranteed. In this case, the guarantee should come from what past customers say about the contractor and not the contractors themselves. Asking and contacting the references provided will allow you to see the builder’s work firsthand and will enable you to ask questions. Some questions to ask the previous customers are;
- What was it like working with them?
- Did they meet the timeline or exceed the budget?
- What is their take on the quality of materials?
- The estimate given to you, was it adequately broken down and transparent, or was it vague?
- Would you recommend I use them?
- In the course of working with them, was there any challenge? How did they handle it?
- Was there any part of the process that bothered you?
- Did they give you a payment plan?
- How was their communication like?
- How often did they give you a progress report?
- Do they have any after-sales program?
- Ask open-ended questions that will make the reference communicate feelings and emotions rather than giving you a yes or no.
Step 5 – Ask About The Subcontractors And People Who Will Enter Your Home
Reputable house builders run background checks on their team members to give you peace of mind while protecting their brand name. You want to know if any part of the project is subcontracted, or everyone entering your home is under the builder’s responsibility. On more questions to ask a contractor before you hire them, you can check out our blog on 10 questions to ask.
Step 6 – Discuss Your Project With them
This is a self-evident but critical step. A home project is a big life decision, and the utmost precaution must be taken when making a builder choice. The contractors you have penned down to work with, schedule a meeting and discuss your project parameters. The good guys will offer you a free consultation or visit to discuss your project in details, pointing out the challenges you will face as you go. They will also provide you with accurate estimates based on the quality of materials, and finishes. To add icing on the cake, some will guarantee you a price match – if you find another builder who can deliver the same project to you in time and with the quality of materials, they will match it.
Read also: 10 Traits to Get Rid of Cowboy Builders
When you trust your 6th sense and follow these simple steps, you are one decision away from having your dream home and working with the best builders. However, to hasten this process for you, you can book a free consultation with TEL Constructions and a specialist will be in touch to make all your dreams come through.